Facebook recently paid for a research report claiming that Apple’s iOS 14 privacy and app tagging features are for Apple’s benefit and result in anti-competitive market behaviour.
That’s right, you read that correctly. Apple’s iOS 14 privacy protections are once again being questioned, putting the company’s reputation in jeopardy. iOS 14’s ad tracking and privacy management features have caused quite a stir in the industry. Only 2% of Apple users have authorised applications like Facebook to track their data for targeted adverts and other objectives, according to recent research. The remaining 98 per cent of the population supports Apple for bringing such actions to light.
In any case, Facebook has been enraged by the new iOS 14 improvements and has labelled them anti-competitive from the start. Apple’s iOS 14 upgrade, which allows users to alter their ad tracking and app tracking functionality, according to the social media conglomerate, has proven to be a significant loss for small businesses and other advertising enterprises that rely heavily on targeted ads for revenue. Facebook is another programme whose primary source of revenue is ad tracking and targeted adverts.
according to recent rumours, Facebook has funded a research paper that examines Apple’s new iOS 14 app tracking transparency features, claiming that the improvements are primarily for Apple’s advantage and are therefore anti-competitive. According to an iMore storey, the paper is a broad denunciation of Apple’s new policy that seems nearly unavoidable.
Piramal Associate Professor of Business Administration, HBS, and Huber C. Hurst Eminent Scholar Chair in Law and Professor, University of Florida Levin College of Law. We gladly recognise Facebook, Inc.’s financial assistance for this study. The views expressed on this page are solely those of the author.
This declaration was made in the footnotes on the first page of the report, and it clearly states that Facebook funded this research in response to Apple’s recent privacy and app transparency policies.
Furthermore, the research paper’s abstract states,
“Apple’s iOS 14 release is an anti-competitive ploy masquerading as a privacy safeguard. Without express user consent, Apple now forbids non-Apple apps from using information necessary for offering relevant, tailored advertising. Users may only opt-in after seeing a scary and deceptive alert about “tracking,” which Apple’s own applications and services don’t have to show because users are already “opted in” to Apple’s own tracking. According to an iMore report, “Apple’s approach will have the destructive consequence of boosting iOS’ dominance among mobile operating systems, as well as the dominance of its own apps and services within the iOS ecosystem while restricting customer choice and destroying the free-app ecosystem.”
It’s no wonder that Facebook is enraged at Apple for implementing these modifications and allowing iPhone users to modify app tracking and ad tracking functionality. You must agree with me when I say that simply looking for an iPhone case on Instagram or Facebook results in iPhone case marketing all over social media. It’s a little creepy how exact these adverts can be at times, and such events make us wonder if our personal information is even protected.
In any case, Facebook is retaliating against Apple by supporting this study report, indicating that it is dissatisfied with Apple’s monopolistic practices.